It is amazing how much homeschooling has changed over just the last 5 years. There has always been certain "stereotypes" that a majority of people had/have concerning people that homeschool. Those stereotypes are being blown out of the water as more people realize the freedom that comes with homeschooling. I can't tell you how many times people have said to me: "YOU HOMESCHOOL?! I WOULD HAVE NEVER GUESSED THAT?"
The face of homeschooling is so different now. People who love to travel (that's us) may decide to homeschool so their kids are not considered delinquent in public or private schools. The homeschool parent today doesn't look or act or believe differently than the parents who send their children to public or private school. We just made a different educational choice. Choice is good. The big difference these days is that when parents today are deciding where to send their kids to school- PUBLIC, PRIVATE and HOME are all up for serious consideration for many.
The choices are amazing these days. I feel so blessed to be able to clearly lay out all these options and see that Homeschooling fits our family the best and is doable.
One of my son's (9 years old) favorite things to do when he's learning something new is to play- "DID YOU KNOW?" He states facts and tries to tell me something new about whatever he has just studied. So I'm going to play here:
Did you Know?
1. Most people do not homeschool for religious reasons.
2. There are 1000's of curriculum options. Homeschoolers can do anything from classic classroom style, to literature based, to online learning, DVD learning.
3. In Texas- Homeschoolers are accepted to college by submitting their SAT or ACT scores- no GED needed.
4. In Texas- Homeschools are considered private schools.
5. If you are a homeschool parent in Texas you are eligible for Teacher discounts at many retailers. (like. Ann Taylor Loft, Barnes and Noble, Apple and many more)
It amazes me these days- at how many mom's I talk to say - " I NEVER THOUGHT I'd be a homeschool mom but I absolutely love it!" People are bravely stepping out...and saying... this is a valid option and I want to learn more.
Homeschooling isn't for everyone- and that's okay. Public and Private school are not for everyone either. It's not about one choice being superior to the other. It's about finding what fits best with your lifestyle and the needs of your family and going for it!
If you're curious, google or bing (Ie search online) Homeschool Curriculum, Homeschooling and you will find out more than you ever thought you could know about homeschooling.
Dealing With Mom Guilt This Back-to-School Season
18 hours ago