Tuesday, April 12, 2011
Today we visited the New Legoland Discovery Center in Grapevine, TX.
I went on this field trip thinking we'd have a fine time but wondering if it was worth the money I paid for the tickets. Here's my opinion:
First you should know that neither one of my children have ever really been too much into Legos. A spark of interest here and there but it never stuck for too long. Until...possibly... THE DAY WE VISITED LEGOLAND.
Upon entering Legoland- Professor Brick Brack shows the kids how Legos are made in the factory. This session time is short and very interactive. The kids LOVED it and got a free Lego (yep one block) after the short session)
When Prof. Brick Brack finishes- you go on your first ride and laser guns are involved. Need I say more here? I mean COME ON...you get to shoot stuff on a fun little ride..kids are having crazy fun and we'd only been there 10 min. Okay..this is a good sign. (Note: One adult must ride with children.)
Our kids head to the next ride- it was a magic bike/harry potter looking ride. They loved it! They buckled in..the ride started spinning and they peddled to get their car to go higher.
There is a 2 story playplace right in the middle that is pretty amazing to the kids. They spent a lot of time in there in between the various play stations and rides. It's soft and netted, lots of climbing, sliding, jumping over stuff...you know..crazy kid fun. NOTE: kids need socks to play on the playplace...so stuff some socks in your purse, bra whatever..the kids will need them.
There is a special place...that the girls loved....
simply because it was pink! And well- the Karaoke stage was a nice bonus. The girls spent quite a bit of time in here building.
They had some fun little vehicles for the kids to "pose" on.
If your child is of the rowdier (aka destructive ) type...I'm not judging don't get defensive... be of good cheer.. these are not fragile Lego Bikes/figurines that they'll destroy. These are sturdy and made for rowdy kids to play on.
The 4D cinema was a lot of fun. They play 3 rotating movies that last about 10 to 15 min each so you can go more than once and we most certainly did!
Then there is Miniland...Don't skip it... we almost did because well..we almost overlooked it..oops. Miniland is the city of Dallas- key sights- built in legos and it is amazing. When you go in..find the little TV screen (we almost missed that part too...we are so observant!) On it there are 4 or 5 buttons on the right ...each button will display a different Lego character on the screen for the kids to find in the Miniland display. This was a really fun way for the kids to stay entertained while the adults simply admired the handiwork.
Legoland has a cafe inside the attraction so you can get a snack or eat lunch if you so choose. But if you are going and want to eat out in the mall ..remember to hold on to your tickets for reentry.
1. Yes it's worth the money you pay for the ticket. (and- if you go and love it and want an annual pass- you can apply the amount you paid for that days tickets to your annual pass if you purchase it the same day of your visit.)
2. Plan at least 2 hours. We were there 3 1/2 and my kids were still not ready to leave.
3. Bring a light sweater/jacket...the adults did get a bit chilly because we were not running around like the kiddos. (well some were just not us.)
4. Go in the morning if you can- it gets a lot busier after lunch.
5. It gets loud in the main area- very loud- so if you or your child are sensitive to a lot of noise, proceed with caution.
6. Adults can ride the rides and just be a kid here if they want...or you can grab a seat and watch all the fun from the sidelines..whichever strikes your fancy.
7. You exit - through the LEGO STORE- just saying..prepare yourself and your children for exiting through the store on a LEGO HIGH.
Posted by Robin at 4/12/2011